Skip to main content


Welcome to Michigan Housing! And welcome home. The key to a successful residential experience is knowing all about the expectations: what’s expected of Michigan Housing, and what’s expected of you as a community member. These are our 2023-2024 academic year Michigan Housing policies, and you can find them in three documents:

Your Housing Contract is a legally binding agreement between you and the University, providing you with a space in Michigan Housing. Review your contract for important information such as the dates of your occupancy, your meal plan, and the room and board rate.

The Housing Terms and Conditions, a legally binding adjunct to the contract, outlines expectations and procedures, including check-in and check-out, keys, terminating, renewing, or reassigning your contract, safety and security, and more. Be sure you review this document carefully.

The Community Living at Michigan Standards (the “CLAM” for short) is also a legally binding adjunct to your contract that lays out additional expectations, including our Community Living Standards and the Housing Support & Community Responsibility.

When you sign your contract, you are agreeing to adhere to the terms of all three documents, so take the time to view each one.

Room Condition and Damage Charges

When you move into a Michigan Housing room, you will complete a Room Condition Inventory to record the condition of the space when it is originally occupied. Residents are responsible for the condition of the space upon move-out so this form is an important one to complete.

Residents will be held responsible for any damage when they move out unless 1) it was noted on the Room Condition Inventory, 2) it is normal wear and tear or 3) it is related to a maintenance problem reported to FIXIT (online FIXIT system). Students who are responsible for the damages to a room, furniture or any part of a building will be billed directly for repairs, missing keys, excessive cleaning, missing furniture, or missing equipment.

End-of-term damage assessment notices will be mailed to your U-M email. If you disagree with the charges, please respond back in writing within ten days. Damage assessments are billed to your student account.

This document shows a list of damage and cleaning charges for your reference.

2024-2025 POLICIES

The Housing Terms and Conditions and Community Living at Michigan Standards have been updated for those students signing contracts for the 2024-2025 academic year. These documents are referenced in the Housing Contract that you sign when accepting your housing assignment. These documents will not go into effect until the start of your new academic year contract. 

The 2023-2024 documents are currently in use and are linked above. If you are beginning your Michigan Housing contract in Winter 2024, please refer to the 2023-2024 documents above.