Skip to main content

Health & Safety

Your well-being is of the utmost importance to us. As partners in your health and safety, we ask that you familiarize yourself with all of the services available to you.

Housing Security

We have a dedicated staff of security officers whose sole responsibility is to provide a safe and secure environment for all residents, staff and guests of our residence halls. Learn more about Housing Security.

University Housing values inclusion and being a supportive home for residents of all identities. We are committed to providing support for those who may be targets of, or affected by, a campus climate concern or concern on campus and encourage anyone to report an incident to University Housing or the Campus Climate Support staff team.  
For more information on how to report an incident, please connect with Housing staff at the Community Center, Housing Diversity and Inclusion staff at or in The Connector on Central Campus, or please visit the Campus Climate Support (CCS) website for more information and ways to report an incident. 

Residential Staff

If you need to speak to someone in your residence hall about a concern or a non-life-threatening emergency, contact the residential staff member who is on call. They are trained to help you identify and take the necessary steps to work through your situation.

Emergencies And Safety Concerns

The Division of Public Safety & Security works around the clock to ensure our community is safe. We encourage you to explore their website to learn more about their services and read their fire safety tips. Be sure to sign up for their text Emergency Alerts. You can also contact DPSS to report any unusual behavior or safety concerns.

Health and Wellness

If you are an enrolled student, and you are not feeling well, please contact University Health Service. In addition to being a full-service health care facility, they also have a nurse advice line, offer nutrition consultations and a host of other wellness services.

Visit the Student Life Well-Being website for information about wellness classes, support organizations and tips on staying healthy. 

If you are looking for opportunities to keep physically fit, you’ll find support at Recreational Sports.

If you are feeling anxious, depressed, stressed out, or if you just need someone to talk to, please contact U-M Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). 

Personal Property Protection

We recommend that you register and insure all of your personal belongings. First check if your belongings are covered by an existing homeowners policy. If not, consider purchasing an individual policy. One option is GradGuard™, a service provided by Next Generation Insurance Group, LLC. It’s a specific Renters Insurance Plan designed especially for students.

To register your bike, electronics, and other valuables visit Division of Public Safety & Security.

In addition, we suggest that you mark all personal belongings, keep your doors locked and don’t leave valuables unattended when you are out and about.