Skip to main content

Graduate Housing Basics

Living on campus is a great way to meet graduate students from around the globe. It’s also a great way to learn and grow outside of labs and classrooms. When you live with us you’ll have the opportunity to expand your network, connect with the broader campus community, make long-lasting friendships and develop the skills essential for success in 21st-century careers.


You are eligible to live with us if you are:

  • An enrolled graduate student.

  • A Ph.D. candidate actively writing a dissertation.

  • Paying tuition at the U-M Ann Arbor campus.

  • Enrolled for six or more credit hours for two out of three academic terms or actively writing your dissertation (with verification from your faculty chair).

Application Process

Newly Admitted Graduate Students

If you are a newly admitted student and you have completed all admission requirements and confirmed your intent to enroll at Michigan, we will send you an email with instructions on how to complete our online housing application. You’ll need your U-M email address and your U-M ID number. If you are admitted for fall, spring or summer term we will send you information in mid-April. If you are admitted for winter term, we will send you information in early November.

Currently Enrolled students

If you are currently enrolled and you’d like to live with us, please request an application by emailing from your U-M email account. Be sure to include your U-M ID number in your email. Once we verify that you are eligible, we will email a link that gives you access to our application.

Housing Options

Two smiling grad students at birthday party
Grad students working at a table

Northwood I and II are furnished one or two bedroom apartments with a kitchen, living room and bathroom. Each bedroom comes with one single bed which cannot be removed. Northwood contracts begin on either the 1st or the 15th of your move-in month. All contracts end June 30th.

Northwood townhouses have two or three bedrooms. The communities in Northwood IV and V are ideal for undergraduate, graduate and Ph.D. students who will be living with family. Northwood contracts begin on either the 1st or the 16th of your move-in month. All contracts end June 30th.

Munger Graduate Residences accommodate six or seven graduate students per apartment and focus on creating a trans-disciplinary community. Each student has their own bedroom and bathroom, and the kitchen and living room are shared. Graduate students complete programs at different times of the year and you may move in to a partially occupied apartment. Munger Graduate Residences contracts run from either June 1st until May 23rd, or August 1st until July 23rd.

Martha Cook is home to a warm community of women who are focused on supporting one another while at the University of Michigan. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to live in the Martha Cook Building.

A valued hallmark of the Martha Cook community is that residents have their meals only at Martha Cook. The meal plan includes continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner Sunday through Friday. The dining hall is closed on Saturdays. A Martha Cook contract follows the undergraduate calendar and runs from late August until late April/early May

For students seeking a unique place to live, the Martha Cook Handbook provides more information about the Martha Cook experience. If you have any questions, please email

Henderson House is an economical co-op for sophomore through graduate women. By participating in group meals and activities, the Henderson House creates a tightly knit community of students. The contracts at Henderson House follow the undergraduate calendar and run from September until early May. For current rates, information on the living agreement or instructions on how to apply, email the Henderson House at

Graduate Roommate Information

Single graduate students may choose to rent individually or share an apartment. You may select a roommate of your choice or we can assign a roommate to you.

If you select a roommate, you and your roommate must submit your applications at the same time. On the application, both roommates’ choices regarding apartment type must match. Contract start dates do not have to match but must be within a 30-day period. If you do not submit an application with a roommate, we will assign one to you. You may not request a roommate once you have signed your contract.

Need a roommate? We offer online roommate board for single graduate students who do not already have a contract and who would like to share an apartment in Northwood Community Apartments. This optional feature is provided to help you connect with other U-M graduate students who are also looking for roommates.

Graduate Student Programs

We offer a broad series of programs and events to support our graduate community.

Grad students standing in a group speaking with each other


A robust series of free events that focus on building community, bridging diversity, developing skills and finding your passion.


Fairs that will help you connect with organizations and opportunities on campus.


A juried competition that showcases work by teams composed of graduate students and professionals who come together to solve problems.

wellness series

A series of events, classes and activities to support your physical and emotional well-being.

Your Housing Contract Offer

We will notify you by email if we have a space to offer. Our goals is to notify you a minimum of 30 days prior to your requested occupancy date. All housing offers are based on: 

  • Current residents vacating the space.

  • The type of space you request.

  • The occupancy dates you request.

  • Your status in the application process.

If you have not received an offer within 30 days of your requested occupancy date, please email us at

Graduate Move-in

GEneral Information

  • You can move in on, or anytime after, the day your contract begins.
  • You will need a photo ID to pick up your keys from the Community Center.
  • If you need to ship items to your new address, it is important to make sure the boxes will arrive after you have moved in.
  • Recycling is an important part of Student Life culture, so please make sure you recycle any packing boxes, cardboard or plastics.

Munger graduate residences

As you prepare for move-in, it is expected that you make an appointment for your check-in during Community Center hours (9am-4pm weekdays and 10am-3pm weekends.)
You will receive an email in advance of move-in that will include information on how to pick your move-in time slot.

We are allowing one guest per resident to assist with the move in process. Please consider this as you are planning your move.

When you arrive on campus, you will find City of Ann Arbor parking meters along the front and the back of the building.

On your move in day:

  • Please do your best to arrive during your assigned move in slot.
  • Please abide by guidelines for our state and wear face covering  if medically able, during the move-in process. If you arrive without face covering, we will provide one for you. 
  • We will have markers to indicate where to stand throughout the check-in process for social distancing.
  • If you have your Mcard, it will let you into the building.
  • If you don’t have an Mcard, staff will be onsite to let you in.
  • Please have a photo ID available to assist with the check-in process.
  • You will receive your room key and mailbox combination at check-in. We will have blue bin moving carts available to check out at move-in to assist with the process.
  • The blue bin moving carts will be sanitized between each use.

For other information about Munger Graduate Residences, guest policies, and more, check out the Munger section in the Knowledge Base.

NOrthwood I, II, IV & V

When you move in, first stop at your Community Center to pick up your apartment key. Please be sure to have a photo ID handy. The Northwood I and II Community Center is located at 2150 Cram Place (Hours). The Northwood IV and V Community Center is at 1000 McIntyre Drive (Hours). If you are planning on parking on campus you will also need to purchase a parking permit.

For other information about Northwood Community apartments, please check out the Northwood section in the  Knowledge Base

Martha Cook and Henderson House

These residential halls follow the undergraduate move-in procedures.

Graduate Move-Out

Because different graduate residences have different schedules, please check your contract to find out your move-out date. For more information about graduate contracts visit our Policies page.