Skip to main content
Housing and COVID-19: the latest public health guidelines and testing information.


COVID-19 vaccine required for students living on campus -- FALL 2021

M Housing is requiring the COVID-19 vaccination of all students residing in M Housing this fall. We look forward to sharing more details soon about residence life in the halls. In the meantime, we encourage all residents to report their vaccination information before the July 16 deadline, to remain eligible to live in Michigan Housing.

Michigan Housing’s vaccination requirement is the most important and effective step to bring back the in-person community of residence life. Our goal is to provide a living environment this fall as close as possible to the dynamic social interactions that generations of Michigan Housing residents have experienced. We appreciate your support with helping us to achieve this goal.

 See below for more information.

How do I report that I have been vaccinated?

Please immediately follow the links on the Campus Maize and BLUEprint website for instructions on uploading your vaccination information. It will take a few business days to process. Thank you for doing all you can to keep the Michigan community safe.


Updated information on acceptable vaccines may be found on Campus Maize and BLUEprint website.

If I have not been vaccinated yet, can I still apply for fall housing?

Yes. Please apply for housing by your application deadline (May 5 for new incoming undergraduate first years, April 30 for returning undergraduate students; graduate students may apply for housing on a rolling basis). You will need to report your vaccination information by 5:00pm (EST) on Friday, July 16, 2021 to remain eligible to receive a housing assignment. Contact M Housing if you are unable to meet this deadline.

Is it possible to be exempted from the fall housing COVID-19 vaccination requirement?

Documented exemptions will be accommodated, subject to approval. Further information regarding the exemption process will be provided on the M Housing Website by the middle of May. Limited exemptions will be allowed. Note that students who are not vaccinated will be required to take part in weekly COVID-19 testing in order to remain eligible to live in Housing.

I will be living in Northwood Apartments with family members. Are my family members required to be vaccinated as well?

We are requiring all students who live in Housing to be vaccinated, including student residents of Northwood Apartments. We are strongly encouraging all non-student family members who are eligible for the vaccination to get one as well.

If I receive a vaccine not approved for use in the United States, will I still be allowed to live on campus in the fall?

Yes. You will still be able to live on campus if you have received a vaccine that is not authorized for use in the United States. You will not be considered fully vaccinated, so you will be expected to comply with required weekly testing and mitigation procedures until you are fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine. More information will be shared during the summer on how to access a vaccine upon arrival.

For the purpose of meeting Michigan Housing requirements, the university recognizes vaccines that are authorized for use in the United States by the U.S. FDA and the World Health Organization (WHO) as meeting COVID-19 policies and requirements. Recognized vaccines currently include those made by Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson/Janssen and AstraZeneca (Covishield). The list of recognized vaccines may change; you can view the current WHO list.

Spring summer public health guidelines for living in M Housing

Below are guidelines for residents currently living with us for the Spring and Summer 2021 terms.

Guests in your room/suite during spring/summer housing

Residents must wear face coverings and observe social distancing while visiting the room of a fellow building community member. Please note: student rooms, suites, and apartments can only host one guest at a time.

Residents and off-campus students temporarily living in Quarantine/Isolation Housing are not allowed to have any guests under any circumstances.

Outside guests continue to not be allowed in spring/summer housing

Outside guests are defined as any individual or group of individuals who do not live in your assigned apartment, suite, or room. Guests from other buildings are considered outside guests. (For example, a resident of South Quad may NOT visit a room in West Quad.)

(Note: The outside guest policy does not apply to graduate students residing within Northwood apartments. It does apply to all undergraduates and to those staying in Quarantine/Isolation spaces on a short term basis.)

Social gatherings are not allowed during spring/summer housing

In the residential communities a social gathering is considered 3 or more individuals and are not allowed in any space. Therefore as mentioned above in your room, suite, or apartment you may only host one guest at a time.

(Note: residents and off-campus students temporarily living in Quarantine/Isolation Housing are not allowed to have any visitors under any circumstances.)

Face coverings must be worn for spring/summer housing

The University of Michigan Face Covering Policy for COVID-19 requires face coverings over the mouth and nose, inside buildings, outdoors and on U-M transportation. Face coverings do not need to be worn within the resident’s assigned residence hall room/suite or apartment, unless an authorized guest is present, or in a SINGLE occupancy study space when the resident is alone.

Social distancing is required for spring/summer housing

Residents must maintain at least six feet social distance in public spaces and when visiting a room within their building as outlined in policies and posted signage.



Below is contact information for Housing departments: