The Second Year Experience (SYE) is a community focused on the unique needs and interests of second-year residents. SYE residents have the opportunity to enhance their second year at the University of Michigan attending events and engaging with resources to help them:
- Cultivate a greater awareness of personal beliefs and values
- Explore academic, professional and career goals
- Enhance intercultural knowledge and competence
- Develop a deeper understanding of personal and civic responsibility
- Build intentional and lasting connections with others in the residential, campus, and local communities
“The Theme Community that I have been able to live in is the Second Year Experience at Stockwell Hall. I would encourage other students to think about joining the Second Year Experience because of the support that it bestows upon sophomore year students. Sophomore year is a critical time for students because they are not only beginning to take advanced classes for their major, they are also trying to figure out who they are and what they want to do with their degree, whether that is getting a job, going to a professional school or even taking a gap year. The Second Year Experience is geared towards allowing students to pursue different academic and career goals while also developing their personal beliefs. It not only allows you to focus on school, but also on issues on campus and in society today. I would encourage all students to consider joining the Second Year Experience because this community allows second-year students to foster friendships as well as offers a plethora of opportunities to grow. It definitely has done that for me, and more.”
“I was most surprised by the willingness of students living in the dorms to form new friendships. I thought that sophomores would have already established their friend groups and be reluctant to form new friends. However, residents in Stockwell are still looking to make new connections, find new dining hall buddies, study partners, and late night popcorn sharers. The social aspect of a freshman year dorm is maintained, and slightly better in the Second Year Experience! It is comforting to be around students who are experiencing the same kinds of struggles as second-year students. It makes finding resources and overcoming obstacles a little easier.”
- To be determined
- Second-year students
- Transfer Students
- Participate in welcome activities
- Participate in programs and events
- Fill out the Theme Community application.
- Complete the online Michigan Housing application when it becomes available.
- Applicants will be notified of their Theme Community status as spaces become available over the summer.