The Innovation Theme Community provides a collaborative living-learning space for residents interested in social innovation and entrepreneurship. Partnering with optiMize Social Innovation department in the College of LSA, we create a supportive community for you to build skills, pursue passions, and take action. Ranked in the top 10 nationally undergraduate entrepreneurship programs, U-M offers entrepreneurial opportunities for students of many backgrounds and areas of study. Through creative exploration of wanting to make a positive impact and applying the notion of asking yourself “Why Not Me?!” , this community will focus on providing guidance to residents as they navigate the entrepreneurial network to make the most of their Michigan experience. Residents in the Innovation Theme Community will be asked to enroll in a 1-credit course offered by optiMize (not a requirement but highly recommended).
“My favorite memory is being able to bond with the engineers and business students on my floor and be able to talk about projects we were working on. We are able to push each other to achieve new heights and push past harder obstacles.”
“Being in a community like this is pretty fun and it really helps cheer me up when I’m feeling a little down. Also, a lot of the people in my hall share similar career interests to me, which is really neat! Next week I’ll be going to a Hackathon at MSU with a few friends in the hall, and if I didn’t join Innovation, I probably would never have even heard of the hackathon.”
“I am so thankful to have been part of the innovation community! It is a great space to gain a close connection with people in your first year of college and create amazing memories together” – Architecture Major
- First-year students
- Participate in welcome activities
- Coordinate programs with ResStaff
- Attend 3 Theme events per semester: (two inside the community and one across campus)
- Fill out the Theme Community application.
- Indicate the Theme Communities that interest you (up to 2) on the application and fill out the corresponding essay questions.
- Submit your Theme Application by the given deadline.
- Complete the online Michigan Housing application.
- Status updates will be provided to applicants on a rolling basis following the deadline.