1st Gen provides an extra layer of support for first-year students who are the first in their family to attend college. In partnership with the Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI), the 1st Gen theme community is dedicated to maximizing student success by creating a support system within the community that facilitates the development of helpful relationships between residents and U-M staff and faculty. Through offering intentional academic support and personal development programming that addresses college transition, 1st Gen will help students make the most of their Michigan experience.
- The formal definition of a first-generation college student at the University of Michigan is a student whose parents did not complete a four-year college degree.
- Residents of 1st Gen regularly attend events like the First Generation Open House, First-Gen Symposium, Community Dinner and more put on by the First Gen Gateway.
- Signature Theme events also include a 1st Gen Faculty & Staff Mixer, 1st Gen Grad Student Networking opportunity, and 1st Gen Fridays biweekly newsletters.
- The community’s themes and activities are customizable depending on the needs and desires of the participants.
“I just love that I was able to meet and bond with people who can understand my biggest struggle with college, being a first generation student. I think knowing that I have access to a whole community to create memories that parents could not tell me about makes this journey a whole lot easier.”
“Living in the 1st gen Theme Community is something I highly recommend. This is a huge campus and coming to it for the first time can be extremely intimidating. Making friends and feeling accepted is something everyone wants, living in this Theme Community really helped with that. You live with people who share a similar background as you, which makes connecting to them an ease. People followed the ‘open door policy’ everyday, inviting others into their room with welcoming smiles. The RA for 1st Gen also reached out to us with special events and beneficial resources. It has definitely been a great experience living in this community, so if you are considering it you should follow through and join!”
- First-year students who are the first in their family to attend college
- Participate in welcome activities
- Participate in programs and events
- Engage in leadership opportunities on campus
The Theme Community Application is part of the general housing application.