The Cheever Program’s legacy was originated by Noah and Adelia Cheever in the late 1800s for University of Michigan students. Striving for generosity, diversity, community, friendship, personal wellness, and leadership, Cheever’s home evolved into a University Co-Op for women and later into a Theme Community at Helen Newberry.
Current students in the program embody the spirit and traditions of Cheever alumnae. Such traditions include three committees: Global Perspectives, Women in Leadership, Wellness, Cheever Chats (bi-weekly group discussions and programming), organizing annual events such as the Cheever Legacy Night, Culture Night, Galentine’s Night and much more! Returning Cheever members are eligible to rejoin the community as a Cheever Scholar, or Cheever Mentor, to incoming Cheever members. See below for more information!
Expectations for incoming students
- Participate in programs and weekly Cheever Chats
- Assist community members in program planning
- Serve on at least two Cheever committees
Expectations for returning students
In honor of past benefactors, the Adelia Cheever Board of Patronesses, and fellow Cheever alumnae, the Board awards
scholarships each year to sophomore and higher students in the program who meet the following qualifications:
- Active participant during the first year in Cheever (attending events, involved in program planning, supporting community members etc.)
- Apply for the Adelia Cheever Scholarship as well as:
- Obtain a cumulative 3.0 GPA by sophomore year
- Interview with Board of Patronesses
- Serve as a peer mentor for first-year Cheever members
- Assist with ‘Cheever Chats’
- First-year students
- Returning student recipients of Cheever Scholarship
The Returning Resident Theme Application will be open from January 11 – January 18, 2024.
- Fill out the Theme Community application.
- Review and follow the instructions outlined on the Returning Resident Housing Process webpage
- Complete the online Michigan Housing application when it becomes available.
- Applicants will be notified of their Theme Community status on a rolling basis following the application deadline.