Skip to main content

Move-Out: Northwood

Thank you for living in Michigan Housing. Follow these guidelines for vacating your apartment at the end of your contract. Your approved contract termination date cannot be changed. Please remember, failure to follow checkout procedures and vacate by 3:00 pm on your approved termination date will result in a holdover fee of $125 per day.

The condition of the residence at move out should be clean and as close to move-in condition with normal wear and tear as expected. As a general rule, your apartment should be left in a condition that you would feel comfortable moving into.


  • Remove all personal belongings including items on shelves or in drawers.
  • Be sure to remove all trash.
  • Remove all personal belongings from the basement.
  • Clean your apartment according to the cleaning guidelines. If you are vacating a shared apartment, clean your bedroom and all common areas.
  • Remove items from your mailbox.
  • Return your room and mailbox keys to the community center at 1000 McIntyre Drive by 3 pm on the last date of your housing contract. Be sure to complete the key return form in its entirety, including your forwarding address.
  • Remove your parking permit and return it to your Community Center when you turn in your apartment keys.
  • For transfers within housing, keys must be turned in by 9:00 am on the approved date. A key drop box is available at each Community Center entrance for your convenience during non-business hours. There will be a charge for a lock change if ALL keys are not returned.
  • Lock all doors and windows.

Moving Carts and Vacuum Cleaners

There are a small number of moving carts and vacuum cleaners available for loan free of charge at the Community Center.

Mail Service

File a forwarding address with the US Postal Service. Discontinue any deliveries or subscriptions to the apartment. You should fill out a mail forwarding form, available at post offices or available online. If your mail will be forwarded to an address outside of the United States, you should go to a post office to arrange for mail forwarding in person. Nearby post offices are located at 3000 Green Road, 1214 South University, and 200 E. Liberty.

Remove your Michigan Housing address and update your permanent address on Wolverine Access so that final account statements or refunds can reach you.

Property, Parking & Protection

Keep track of your belongings while moving out. Someone should stay with any possessions you leave in an unlocked apartment. All City of Ann Arbor parking regulations are in force during end-of-term move-out periods. Please do not leave a vehicle unattended or you may be ticketed or towed. 

Don’t drive or park motor vehicles on lawns or sidewalks when packing your belongings. This can result in charges to your University account if damages occur.

Remove your parking permit and return it to your Community Center when you turn in your apartment keys. Once you move out, your eligibility to use Northwood lots is void. Parking in Northwood lots after move-out will subject you to ticketing even with a current permit. FYI: it is illegal to sell your parking permit to another member of the U-M community.


Packing, Shipping, & Storage

There is no storage space in Northwood for personal property over the spring/summer.

For a fee, this University-contracted vendor, John’s Pack and Ship, can receive, store and ship packages to a location of your choice. Use of this vendor’s services is optional. All transactions are strictly between you and the vendor.


Bicycles cannot be left in the bike racks over the summer. Abandoned bikes will be collected by the Department of Public Safety and Security and if unclaimed will be disposed of within 30 days.

Store or ship: Michigan Housing does not have storage available for bicycles so plan to remove your bicycle from University property when you move out. To inquire about bicycle shipping or storage, you may wish to contact John’s Pack and Ship or a vendor of your choice.

Abandoned Property

Please remove all personal property when moving. Contact the Northwood Community Center immediately ([email protected]) if property is accidentally left behind. Personal property left behind may be disposed of promptly or stored for a limited time at the owner’s expense and risk. All property will be discarded after 30 days.


Please be responsible with items you do not want. Either recycle them or donate them to someone in need. All paper, container and cardboard recycling can be placed into the blue dumpsters labeled “Recyclables”.


Students who are responsible for damages to a room, furniture or any part of an apartment will be billed for repairs, missing keys, excessive cleaning or missing furniture or equipment.

All residents should have completed a Room Condition Inventory (RCI) when they moved into Michigan Housing. The RCI is used to record any concerns with the condition of the apartment when it is initially occupied. If the RCI was not completed, Michigan Housing assumes that there were no problems with the apartment when the residents moved in. Residents will be held responsible for any damage when they move out unless 1) it was noted on the RCI, 2) it is normal wear and tear or 3) it is related to a maintenance concern reported to FIXIT(online FIXIT system.) Refer to this list to know what to expect regarding general replacement and cleaning charges.


After Move Out

A final inspection occurs after residents move out. During the final inspection, a member of Michigan Housing’s Facilities staff determines if any damage has been done to the apartment by the resident and also checks to see if the apartment was cleaned according to the specifications in the cleaning guidelines. The inspector will determine what non-standard repairs and services, if any, will be required to prepare the apartment for new residents. Charges may be assessed at this time for unusual wear and tear, property damage, and necessary additional cleaning.

Charges reflect actual costs and do not include penalties.

Notification of any cleaning or damages will be itemized and emailed to you within 60 days of your actual vacate date. Any charges assessed will be listed on your Statement of Account from Student Financial Operations.

Landlord Reference

We will be glad to act as a landlord reference. Processing may take up to 10 business days. Please have your new landlord email, mail or fax the request, along with your written authorization to:

Housing Information Office 
1011 Student Activities Building 
515 E. Jefferson Street 
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

Fax: 734-764-6806


Questions should be directed to [email protected].