Skip to main content
Housing and COVID-19: the latest public health guidelines and testing information.

HISTORY OF HENDERSON HOUSE

The idea for a cooperative house for financially disadvantaged women dates back to 1914, when a small group of alumnae envisioned a house where women could live, work and study at a much-reduced price. In 1937 their vision was adopted by the women of the Alumnae Council who pursued the dream of creating a cooperative residence for women. In 1945, with the help of the University, the Council purchased the home at 1330 Hill Street from Professor G. Carl Huber. Although somewhat detached from campus at the time, the house was by no means isolated from the University. Henderson House is dedicated to the memory of Mary Bartron Henderson, in recognition of the determination, dedication, idealism and dignity she had displayed as a proponent of a cooperative home for women and as a driving force behind the construction and establishment of the Michigan League.

Help