Skip to main content
Housing and COVID-19: the latest public health guidelines and testing information.

Personal Property and Liability Protection

The University and M Housing do not assume any liability for loss, theft or damage to the personal property of residents in any M Housing location, including parking lots. Residents are strongly encouraged to maintain appropriate insurance coverage on all personal property, including automobiles. Purchase of a M Housing parking permit requires the vehicle to be appropriately insured.

The university has engaged GradGuard™, a service provided by Next Generation Insurance Group, LLC, with a specific Renter’s Insurance Plan designed especially for students. This insurance is not mandatory, but the University believes this company offers a product that well serves the needs of students in a college environment.

More information is available here:,umich