Skip to main content
Housing and COVID-19: the latest public health guidelines and testing information.

Michigan Housing Charges

Contract holders are required to pay all room and board charges, including house/hall dues (where applicable), in a timely manner according to the University’s student account payment schedule. If a contract holder defaults on payment of rent or on the payment of any other amount due the University, the University will send written notice. Notification via University of Michigan email, University campus mail, or US Postal Service is considered written notice. If the default is not satisfactorily resolved within seven days of the notice, the University may take further action.
Questions about room and board charges or refunds should be directed to the Housing Billing Office at (734) 763-3522 or

The University will pay all normal or routine charges or costs for gas, water, heat, electricity, garbage removal, local University telephone service and DSL connectivity. Extraordinary demand or use of these services may result in additional charges.

Student Government Dues (Residence Halls and Northwood undergraduate apartments)
By submitting a M Housing contract, contract holders become members of their student governing body and the Residence Halls Association (RHA), the student government for all residents. Residents are required to pay government dues, which support the activities of the councils, as well as fund some of RHA’s programs, resources and student advocacy services. The amount of dues is determined annually by the RHA Assembly during winter term of the preceding academic year. Residence house/hall government dues are added to accounts as a one-time special assessment. Once billed, this amount is nonrefundable and is not pro-rated in any way. Graduate students residing in M Housing do not pay the RHA dues.

On a voluntary basis, contract holders residing in specific halls or houses can assess themselves supplementary amounts for purchase of clothing items, special trips or programs. Questions about RHA should be directed to

Residents of Henderson House and the Lawyers Club fall under the specific by-laws of the respective houses with regard to any house dues obligations.

Furnishings and Lofts
Most residence hall rooms and some apartments are outfitted with modular furniture, which can be configured in a number of different ways. All furniture must be assembled and used according to the manufacturer’s approved configurations. (e.g., the guardrails provided must be used for an upper bunk or loft unit, bed risers and other materials that elevate the bed or other modular furniture elements are not permitted.) On beds with only one safety rail, the rail must face toward the middle of the room (not facing the wall). Information concerning proper use and safe configuration of furniture is available from brochures provided in resident rooms and from information available on the M Housing website. M Housing Staff will converse with residents about safe configurations over the course of the contract period. M Housing staff may require the reconfiguration of furniture for safety reasons. Custom-built lofts are not allowed.

No item of modular furniture may be removed from a room. No mattress may be substituted for the fire- and flame-resistant one provided by M Housing.

For safety and facility repair reasons, furniture must be kept at least two feet from windows and heating units such as radiators or heat registers (excluding Northwood Community Apartments).

Furnished Apartments
The University provides furniture for apartments in Northwood I/II/III and Munger Graduate Residences for the term of the contract. The University’s furniture may not be removed from the apartment. All University-provided furniture must be kept indoors. M Housing and the University of Michigan are not liable for injuries residents may sustain as a result of improper use of University provided furnishings. Units are equipped with a stove, refrigerator, smoke alarm, and fire extinguisher.

Unfurnished Apartments
Northwood IV and V apartments are unfurnished. The apartments are equipped with a stove, refrigerator, mirror, window treatments, fire extinguisher, shower curtain, smoke alarm(s), and washer and dryer.

Storage of University and Personal Property
M Housing provides no storage in the residence halls or apartments spaces for personal property. The University is not liable for any loss or damage to any personal stored property.

Individual/Group Damage and Loss Assessment

  • Fees may be charged to your university account for a variety of reasons, including administrative services or compensation for unreturned or damaged University property such as appliances or furniture. Damages may be for extraordinary cleanup required for the disposal of hazardous materials, such as mercury from a mercury thermometer (see Prohibited Items). Residents found responsible for tampering with any part of a window system will be billed by M Housing for any ensuing repair, replacement or reinstallation costs.
  • The most impartial way to effect restitution for damages that negatively affect the community is to bill only those responsible. Therefore, residents are encouraged to accept responsibility for their own and their guests’ behavior. Any residents aware of any person responsible for specific damages should contact M Housing professional or residence staff. In those instances when damages occur in individual rooms or in the common areas of the floor or building and attempts to identify the parties responsible for the damage are not successful, contract holders living in or near the affected space may be billed as a group. Contract holders who were not on campus during the period the damage occurred may be exempt from charges billed to a group; contract holders in this category must inform the Housing professional staff member in writing within 30 days of receipt of the notice of the group billing.

Parking and Motor Vehicle Operations

See the M Housing website for information and policies regarding M Housing parking lots.