Skip to main content
Housing and COVID-19: the latest public health guidelines and testing information.

Contracts and Assignments

Contract Modification or Termination 

Undergraduate Housing Contracts
In rare cases, a resident may petition early contract termination. Requests are not automatically granted. Approved petitions are subject to an early termination fee of 80% of the remaining contract obligation.

University Housing will review petitions on a case-by-case basis and has discretion on whether to grant a request and whether the early termination fee shall apply. Note the early termination fee is typically only waived in situations where a student is requesting early contract termination because the student is disenrolling from the University (e.g. leave of absence, graduation, study abroad). Contract holders whose petitions are granted must vacate by the date and time mandated by University Housing. Any contract holder granted early contract termination who fails to follow the procedure for checkout may be held accountable for full payment of the contract.

Graduate Northwood Community Apartment Contracts
Please see the terms and conditions of the Graduate Northwood housing contract.

Munger Graduate Residences Contracts
Munger contract holders are expected to honor the provisions of their respective contract through the entire contract term, including during academic internships and other out-of-class experiences. Neither graduation nor changes in eligibility are grounds for termination of the contract holder’s financial obligations under the contract. Students should not submit a Munger Graduate Residences contract unless they can commit to the full terms of the contract, including the length of the contract term. Contracts of the Munger Graduate Residences can be reassigned.

All Contract Holders
All contract holders, graduate, and undergraduate alike, are responsible for all charges that are identified on the contract they have signed.

Checking out of your residence does not relieve you of your contractual obligations. Contact the Housing Information Office if you wish to discuss or request early termination. Approvals for early termination are rare. Any contract holder who fails to follow the procedure for checkout after being granted contract termination may be held accountable for full payment of the contract. No petitions for early termination will be granted to residents whose contracts are terminated during the final two weeks of a semester or the last 30 days of the contract, whichever is longer.

When a contract is terminated for conduct reasons (e.g., via the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities or Community Living Standards), the University shall have the right to re-enter and take possession of the premises, while the contract holder remains liable for the full term of the contract.

Substance-Free Assignments
A substance-free (“sub-free”) assignment is defined as a room where all roommates and their guests (including those of legal drinking age) agree to keep the space free at all times from substances that have the potential to damage their health or the community. These substances include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco products (including smokeless)
  • Illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia
  • Illegally obtained prescription medications

Members of the substance-free community voluntarily choose substance-free housing. This commitment is taken very seriously by M Housing, and violations of the commitment may be handled by the Housing Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Process.

Contract Reassignment
A contract reassignment is the transfer of a contract from a resident with a submitted housing contract to an eligible student without a submitted contract. It is the contract holder’s responsibility to find a replacement. Procedures vary for undergraduate and graduate housing options. See the M Housing website for more information.

Reassignments are processed and approved through the Housing Information Office only. Reassignment of the contract does not release the original contract holder from liability for room and board payments. Should the new occupant fail to pay or remain eligible, the original contract holder will be held responsible for the terms and conditions of the original contract.

Contract Renewal
All M Housing contracts are for the specific duration printed on the contract and are not automatically renewable. Residents who wish to return to Housing will find more information on the renewal process on the Housing website.

Expiration of Contract Term
Undergraduate residence hall and Northwood III residents must vacate their rooms within 24 hours of their last exam, but no later than the end date and time stated in their contract, regardless of whether the academic term has expired. (Exceptions to this policy are described in Extended Stay.) Non-student, Student contract holders without final exams or located in Northwood I, II, IV, V or Munger must vacate by the end of the contract date. If you remain beyond the expiration date without the written permission of M Housing you will be subject to removal and additional charges for rent and service charges resulting from a stay beyond the contract period. There may also be other legal remedies available to the University.

Vacation and Break Periods
Vacation and break periods are subject to change – please visit the M Housing website for locations and hours of operations. Typically, M Housing facilities remain open during the Thanksgiving and spring break periods and limited dining service is available during these break periods. During the University break between fall term and winter term, residence halls are completely closed and residents must vacate the premises. Northwood Community Apartments and Munger Graduate Residences remain open between fall and winter terms. Residents must follow procedures provided by M Housing staff at their building or hall level.

Extended Stay
You may not remain in your room or apartment beyond the contract end date. In rare cases, exceptions may be permitted. Residents must follow whatever processes are required to request a stay beyond their contract end date. Additional charges may apply. See the M Housing website for additional information.

Subletting of contracted space is not permitted.

Assignment Changes: Resident-Initiated
All resident-initiated changes must be authorized in advance by the Community Center of your building or the Housing Information Office. Such changes may take place based on an approved swap or on an offer from a waitlist. M Housing will not honor informal or different procedures. Individuals may not occupy any space to which they have not been assigned (originally or through room swap, waitlist or other authorized process), even if it appears to be vacant. Residents must ensure that any shared unassigned space, including furnishings, is in a condition ready for a new occupant at all times.

  • Assignment Swap: Two contract holders may agree to exchange room assignments at any time, provided the change is properly coordinated through the Housing Information Office (subject to room change freeze periods) or at the Community Center of your building (beginning with Move-In). Contract holders cannot swap into a vacant space; the switch must be done with another contract holder, and both must live in their respective new spaces. Residents must be fully eligible for the space they are switching into, and switches that result in a change of rate type will be billed at the rate of the new room. In some cases (such as moving from Northwood undergraduate apartments to a residence hall), a swap may also result in the addition of a meal plan to the contract. M Housing does not facilitate swaps other than by providing a section on its website where interested parties can communicate with one another. No one may pressure a contract holder to make a swap, including by making offers of financial compensation or other incentives or rewards. M Housing will remove any mentions of such offers from the listings and residents who make such offers may have their contract terminated. In addition, swaps made to circumvent the waitlist process will be null and void.
  • Fall Term and Winter Term Waitlists: Information regarding these processes can be found on the Housing website. Contract holders are responsible for the terms and rate of their new space.

Assignment Changes: M Housing-Initiated

  • Vacant Spaces: M Housing reserves the right to make an administrative room change into a vacant space, independent of the waitlist, when it deems a change necessary.
    Contract holders in a room or suite with a vacant space are required to accept a new roommate who is placed in the space by M Housing. Refusing to accept a roommate, or impeding M Housing’s ability to affect an assignment into a vacant space (e.g., by not keeping the unoccupied space presentable) is a violation of the contract. Unfortunately, advance notice of a new roommate is usually not possible. Therefore, residents must ensure that the vacant space and furnishings are in a condition ready for occupancy at all times. Failure to comply with these policies can result in the contract holder(s) already occupying the room or suite being charged the full rate for the vacant space.
  • Extenuating Circumstances: M Housing may require contract holders to move to other accommodations in University-owned and operated facilities if it is determined by Housing to be in the best interest of the contract holder and/or other occupants of the housing unit, the University, or M Housing. Efforts will be made to offer comparable accommodations. A move may, however, result in a rate change for which contract holders are responsible. These changes will occur within a time frame determined by M Housing.
  • Overflow Spaces: From time to time the demand for housing exceeds the capacity of our available room inventory. If occupancy exceeds the system capacity, some hall lounges are converted into resident rooms. Students placed in these rooms will be offered spaces elsewhere in the system as they become available. Students residing in these spaces will be required to move if (a) a standard residence hall space becomes available prior to the third week of the semester or (b) the occupancy of the room drops below full capacity.
  • Modified Rooms: M Housing has modified, and, in some cases, equipped, some of its spaces to meet the needs of contract holders with disabilities. Contract holders without disabilities may receive an assignment to such a space which requires a contract addendum. This addendum stipulates that the contract holder agrees, upon 15 days written notice from M Housing, to be transferred to another space if the contracted premises are needed for a student with a disability. If such a transfer is made, M Housing agrees to provide a new assignment that is reasonably equivalent to the initial space not including any special features designed for the needs of a person with a disability.
  • Damaged Assignments: If an assigned space is deemed uninhabitable for any duration, M Housing will make an assessment of time needed to make necessary repairs. Reasons a space might be defined as uninhabitable may include one or more of the following: fully destroyed or substantially damaged in an accidental manner, the need for extensive repairs, or other purposes related to health or safety necessity. If the room will remain uninhabitable for an excess of 30 days, the contract holder will have the option of either terminating the contract by giving written notice to M Housing, or relocating to a comparable space, based on availability, in the current or a different M Housing facility.
  • Disruption of Services: M Housing and the University are engaged in ongoing efforts to maintain and improve facilities, and make every effort to inform residents in advance of activities that may affect their environment (e.g., painting public spaces, plumbing repairs, renovation of buildings and apartments). The most noticeable unwanted byproducts of construction include noise and dust. M Housing works with contractors and others to mitigate the impact of noise and dust as much as possible and to schedule work during the least disruptive times. The disruption or non-performance of services due to maintenance activities or construction does not constitute grounds for termination of the contract.  

Further, the disruption or non-performance of services due to a labor stoppage or to fire or other casualty does not constitute grounds for termination of the contract. If such an event disrupts services, M Housing will determine, in its sole discretion, if affected residents are eligible for a refund for services not provided. The University has no other responsibility for disruption or non-performance of service.