Welcome to the Michigan Housing Community
Welcome to your community! It is our sincere hope that you will find your residence comfortable and that your stay will be mutually beneficial to you and your community. It is often said that some of the most important learning occurring in the university setting takes place outside the classroom. Much of that learning occurs during the interactions and exchanges that take place among residents in Michigan Housing.
In Michigan Housing, you will find many people with interests similar to your own. You will also find people who are different from you. The diversity of appearances, beliefs, and expectations is astounding, wonderful and sometimes intimidating. Michigan Housing strives to create an environment in which positive relationships with all these people, similar and dissimilar, can thrive.
Community Living at Michigan (“CLAM”) includes three documents: (i) these Community Living Standards (“CLS”); (ii) the Housing Policies and Procedures; and (iii) the housing contract each student contract holder enters with the University (“Housing Contract”). Residential students and contract holders are responsible for the expectations and procedures contained within all the CLAM documents. All references in the CLS and the Housing Policies and Procedures to Community Living at Michigan or the CLAM refer to this entire document. The headings, titles and subtitles used in this document are used for convenience only and do limit or otherwise affect the meaning of this document.
Mission of Michigan Housing
The mission of Michigan Housing is to create and sustain diverse learning-centered residential communities that further the goals of the University. Through partnership with others, we provide quality programs, services, and facilities for those we serve.
Members of the University community who have concerns that they have been impacted by discrimination, harassment, bullying, campus climate concerns or unfair treatment by an employee, resident, or visitor of Michigan Housing can report their concern in the following ways:
Within any on-campus residential community
Student Staff: Diversity Peer Educator (DPE) or Resident Advisor (RA)
RAs and DPEs serve as a resource to support students who are targeted because of their social identities by responding to potential campus climate concerns or behaviors that negatively affect the community and campus climate. For guidance on how to contact an RA or DPE, please ask a staff member at the Community Center or call the nightly duty phone number located at the Community Center.
Professional Staff: Hall Director or Community Center Manager
Residents can stop by their office spaces within the communities or find their individual contact information by going to the staff directory.
● Diversity and Inclusion in Housing at email@example.com
● Division of Public Safety and Security at 734-763-1131
● Office of Institutional Equity at 734-764-7420
● Dean of Students Office at DeanofStudents@umich.edu
● Anonymously at Public Care Report.
● Campus Climate Support Team: Creating and maintaining an inclusive and welcoming environment for all to live, learn, work and thrive is a priority at the University of Michigan. If you feel that you have experienced or witnessed an incident you can report it in person to the Hall Director, Resident Advisor, or Diversity Peer Educator in your community or in the Dean of Students Office, MESA, Office of Institutional Equity, or OSCR. In addition, you may report the incident by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or using the report button below.