Solicitation & Canvassing

University Housing deems the entire Residence Hall and Apartment communities as our students' home. We strive to ensure that their environment remains conducive to studying, resting, relaxing and socializing. For the safety of Housing residents in their home, access is restricted to those who live or work in those communities.

Please note that commericial and non-housing affiliated advertising, flyering and access is prohibited. Fines may ensue.

Because the entire residential facility is considered the home to our students, we ask those seeking to promote their program or event to consider the non-residential, public options available on the U-M campus in order to reach all students. Please visit the following sites to review availability, terms and scheduling opportunities:

Solicitation Tables

In support of U-M registered/recognized student organizations wishing to present information to residents, University Housing permits these organizations to request a solicitation table. The solicitation tables are typically located outside residential dining halls.

**Note that tabling is not permitted during the last two weeks of August, the first two weeks of any semester, nor during study and exam periods.**

Please review the rules and complete the online application on behalf of your U-M registered/recognized student organization.  Please apply by a minimum of 7 business days prior to the date(s) needed.

Door-to-Door Canvassing

University Housing follows the residence hall solicitation policy that has existed for quite some time, and the accommoation to that policy instituted during the fall of 2008:

  • No solicitation for a commercial service or product will be allowed at any time.
  • University Housing residents may engage in door-to-door canvassing in their respective residence hall and undergraduate apartments area, consistent with normal community interactions.
  • Students not residing in the residence hall or undergraduate apartments are restricted from door-to-door canvassing in the hall, house or apartment building.
  • The following organizations may be permitted to engage in scheduled and pre-approved door-to-door canvassing in residence halls and undergraduate apartments: 1) Student representatives of Voice Your Vote, a Central Student Government (CSG) commission dedicated to non-partisan voter registration, 2) Student candidates for office in the CSG Assembly or, 3) the student government for the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA).

Representatives of the above groups must follow established procedures for scheduling access to halls and apartment buildings, and checking in with building staff.

For inquiries about scheduling access for canvassing in the residence halls, please contact the Housing Solicitation Administrator, or call 734.615.2147.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164