2018-2019 Returning Resident Process - Parent's Guide

A Parent's Guide to Housing

Your student may be feeling pressured to make a housing decision for next year. We encourage you to browse through all of the available housing possibilities, both on- and off- campus, so you can discuss this important decision with your student. Costs, leases, safety, support, and the impact of housing on academic success are important factors to take into consideration.

Staying with University Housing

The Returning Resident process for current residents living in University Housing begins in January with registration. While students are invited to explore their options now, this process begins in January, shortly after students return from winter break.

Housing options for returning students will be limited. A large proportion of available spaces for returning students will be available on North Campus; specifically in Northwood Community Apartments. Northwood boasts support systems and social networks that focus on the needs of undergraduate students.

The rates for next year's room and board will be finalized in June 2018 by the University's Board of Regents. Housing rates have historically increased by approximately 3% per year. Until then, we can provide you with the current housing rates.

What is your Student Signing?
Contracts vs. Leases

The University Housing contract, like a lease, is a legal document intended to protect both your student and the University. Unlike a lease, the residence hall contract can be terminated if your student is no longer enrolled in the University (for reasons such as a non-local internship, study abroad or withdrawal from the University). Housing contracts are not terminated to accommodate a move to off-campus housing. If your student chooses on-campus housing for next year, please read the University Housing contract carefully and let us know if you have any questions.

Similarly, if your student chooses off-campus housing, the same care and attention should be given to reading the lease. Before any money changes hands, be sure your student knows what is being signed and agreed to. Any and all agreements or commitments, such as a landlord agreeing to improve or repair the property, should be documented in writing. Remember that a lease is legally binding and difficult to cancel.

Stay Informed

There are a number of ways to stay on top of all the latest University Housing developments:

  • In January, when the Returning Resident process begins, more detailed information on how to apply will be available on this site.
  • You can also receive our helpful parent e-newsletter: ask your student to visit the Student Center section of the Wolverine Access website, enter your e-mail address(es) under the Parent/Family Authorization link and click on U-M Housing News.
  • What's more, you can even get quick reminders about all the important deadlines, by liking University Housing on Facebook.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Email: housing@umich.edu
Phone: (734) 763-3164