2018-2019 Returning Resident Housing

Not Sure about Submitting Your Contract?

If you are unsure about returning to University Housing, do not submit a contract “just in case.” Once submitted, a University Housing contract is legal and binding. It is a firm commitment to pay for the selected room/apartment and board plan for the duration of the contract. When you submit a University Housing contract, you agree to abide by all the terms of the contract, as well as the rules and regulations of University Housing as outlined in Community Living at Michigan.


Change Your Mind?

After contract submission, there may still be options for making changes to your on-campus housing assignment. Each option is explained below. If you need additional information, please contact the Housing Information Office.

Room Swaps

Two students can initiate a room swap if they each have a 2018-2019 University Housing contract. Students must be eligble to live in the room (e.g., Michigan Learning Community swaps outside of the program are not allowed.) Room swaps can be initiated from April 2, 2018 through August 13, 2018. Students who signed contracts through the Returning Resident Housing process will complete room swaps in the Housing Information Office; both students must be present to complete the swap.

Beginning March 19, 2018, the Room Swap Bulletin Board will be available exclusively for online posting of fall term ads.

Wait List for Room/Apartment Changes

After contract submission, students who want to move to another on-campus living space must place their name on a wait list. For students with a 2018-2019 contract, the wait list will be available in the Housing Information Office on February 20 and 21. This is a "walk in" process between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. Room/apartment changes will be made according to a lottery.

Changes are made from March through August. You will not be notified about living space changes in advance. If a desired space becomes available, the Housing Information Office will automatically make the change and notify you of the new assignment.

Joining the wait list is not a guarantee that a desired room/apartment change will be made. If a change is not made, you will continue to be responsible for your original housing contract. University Housing reserves the right to make an assignment that overrides the hall wait lists.

Contract Reassignment

Do not sign a contract with the intention of reassigning it to a friend who is currently enrolled on campus. You can only reassign a contract to a newly entering student who is eligible for your space. Reassignments begin mid April.

Contract reassignment ads can be posted at any time. Beginning April 2, 2018, the Contract Reassignment Board will be available exclusively for online posting of fall term ads. 

Contract Termination

A petition to terminate a contract will not be approved if the purpose is to move to a facility that is not owned and operated by University Housing. This includes off-campus housing, a fraternity or sorority or an Inter-Cooperative Council house.

A petition to terminate a contract will be approved if you:

  • Sign a contract in advance of enrollment and then become ineligible to enroll or choose not to enroll for the term.
  • Withdraw from the University and will not be taking classes or otherwise become ineligible to live in University Housing before the contract expires.
  • Marry.
  • Are called to active military duty.
  • Leave Ann Arbor during the term of the contract to pursue a study abroad program or an off-campus internship required by your program.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Email: housing@umich.edu
Phone: (734) 763-3164