Application & Selection Process
For Spring/Summer Resident Advisor and Conference Community Advisor positions, please visit this page.
Please read below for the DPE, RA, PASS and RPF application essays.
Online Application & Essay Questions
Please complete all components of our online ResStaff Application including the essay questions, providing reference contact information, and shadowing (if applicable). All components must be completed for your application to be considered.
Please limit each response to 250 words or less.
- One of the values of Residence Education is community development. The University of Michigan is a big place that can feel overwhelming for students to connect with. As a member of ResStaff, in what ways would you help students find a community where they feel a sense of belonging?
- Social justice is another value of Residence Education. Social justice allows for all members of society, regardless of their social and cultural background, to be given access to opportunities and resources in an equitable way. Our department and the university at large strive to create communities that are inclusive and promote social justice. How do you plan to support this value in the community as a ResStaff member?
- The third value of Residence Education is restorative justice. When an incident occurs in our communities, it causes harm. As a result, we believe in helping facilitate opportunities for students to restore trust in the communities or people they may have harmed. Give an example of a time where harm was caused in a relationship that was important to you.
How did you address it and what did you learn?
“A relationship important to you” can be any relationship you have a personal connection to - family, friend, teammate, roommate, classmate, etc.
- How would you describe your philosophy of leadership? Please share an example of when you put this philosophy to practice. What did you learn from this?
- As the year progresses, at times you might feel overwhelmed with various campus, work and school activities, commitments and expectations. In addition to those, as a ResStaff member, you have several students looking to you for leadership, role modeling, resources and support. How do you motivate yourself when you feel overwhelmed in order to meet your commitments? Please share an example when you put these skills into practice?
- Talk about a time where you felt in conflict with a change that was happening in your life. What was the conflict and how did you approach it? How would you apply what you learned from this experience in your role as a member of ResStaff?
DIVERSITY PEER EDUCATOR (DPE) CANDIDATES:
- What aspects of the DPE position attract you the most and what do you hope to learn from the position? Please explain.
- How do you define diversity and social justice? What is the difference between diversity and social justice and are there areas of social justice you want to learn more about?
ALL PEER ACADEMIC SUCCESS SPECIALIST (PASS) CANDIDATES:
- Tell us about your experience as a facilitator. That is, tell us about a time when you led a group of your peers in learning something. What skills did you use? How did you address challenges that you faced in this experience?
PASS - First Year Experience
- What issues would you discuss with a student who has received their first grade of “C”? How would you respond to their concerns?
PASS - Upper Class Communities
- Please describe a time when you assisted a sophomore, junior, or senior who was experiencing distress in their educational journey. What was the situation? What did you do? What was the outcome?
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events
- Move-In: Munger Residences
- Move-In: Northwood Single Graduate and Family Housing
- Returning Resident Housing
- Off-Campus Residents & Late Applicants
- Not Sure? Change Your Mind?
- For Parents!
- Spring/Summer Move-In
- Move-Out: Residence Halls
- Move-Out: Northwood IV & V
- ResStaff Selection
- Residence Education Professional Staff Hiring
- Staff Directory
- Scholar-in-Residence Program
- Move-In Information
- Thanksgiving Day Meal and Bus Schedule