Undergraduate Contract Termination & Reassignment

University Housing contracts are legally binding for the entire term of the contract. In a limited number of circumstances, contracts may be reassigned or terminated.

Contract terminations initiated by residents, regardless of the reason, are not automatic and require that you adhere to the petition processes described below, or find another eligible student to assume your contract via the contract reassignment process.

Enrollment Changes

Before The Term Begins

If you have changed your mind and will not be enrolling at the University of Michigan, please send written or email notification to the Housing Information Office informing us of your need to cancel your signed Housing contract. If you are enrolled in any U-M credit classes, you will be held accountable for your Housing contract.

Mid-Term Withdrawal

If you are withdrawing during an academic term, you must complete a Petition to Alter/Terminate University Housing Contract and submit it to the Housing Information Office. Your Housing contract will then be terminated. You will be responsible for all room and board charges until you check out, regardless of your withdrawal date.

Winter Term Withdrawal/Disenrollment

If you are not enrolling for the winter term due to graduation, U-M withdrawal/disenrollment, or participation in an internship or study abroad program, complete and submit an online Projected Withdrawal notification starting November 1. You will receive checkout procedures by email. If you do not follow the checkout procedures, you may be held accountable for full payment of your Housing contract. Vacate date cannot be later than 7:00 P.M. December 20, 2018.

Petition to Terminate Contracts

Reasons for requesting contract alteration or termination usually include one of the following:

  • University withdrawal or leave of absence
  • Graduation
  • Non-enrollment
  • Study Abroad/Internship
  • Medical/Psychological (need-based)
  • Financial (need-based)

All requests to terminate a signed Housing contract must be submitted in writing. If you want to terminate your Housing contract, you must complete the Petition to Alter/Terminate University Housing Contract form and submit to the Housing Information Office for review.

A decision on a petition received after December 5, 2018 will not be determined until Winter term.

If relevant, the following documentation is also required:

The Option of Contract Reassignment

It is not University Housing’s policy to release students from a contract for the purpose of moving off-campus. However, you may attempt to reassign your contract to another eligible student. Before and during the fall term, contracts may be reassigned to newly admitted students only.

The Housing Contract Reassignment Bulletin Board is a way for students who are offering or looking for a contract reassignment to find one another. The students are responsible for making contact with one another and completing the necessary paper work. The student with the contract is responsible for contacting the Housing Information Office at housing@umich.edu from their U-M email account, to request contract reassignment paper work include name and UMID of student taking contract in your request. You can only reassign a contract to someone of the same gender as you, as that is the gender designation of that particular space.

Making offers of monetary compensation, incentives, or rewards in a contract reassignment ad is strictly prohibited. Such offers will be removed before posting, the ad may be removed from the bulletin board, and the student may be barred from submitting ads in the future.

There is no guarantee that you will be successful in making or finding a contract reassignment.

Offering a Contract for Reassignment

  • You are responsible for your Housing contract until you find an eligible student and complete the necessary paperwork with the Housing Information Office (beginning April 1 for Fall reassignments and beginning December 1 for Winter reassignments).
  • Do not sign an off-campus lease until the reassignment paperwork is completed and you have been officially released from your Housing contract. If the other student does not complete the reassignment paper work and submit the online contract, you will continue to be responsible for meeting your Housing contract obligations.
  • Please ensure the student plans to attend U-M; if the student does not attend, the contract obligations revert to you.

Finding a Contract for Reassignment

Eligible students who have not signed a University Housing contract may utilize the contract reassignment process to take over the contract of another student. For fall term, participation is limited to students new to the university (i.e., freshmen and transfers). For winter term assignments, any enrolled student meeting the eligibility criteria may participate.

  • Begin by browsing the female or male postings through clicking the respective button below. You must be eligible for the space you want and must not already have a signed contract.
  • You are responsible for contacting the student whose contract you are interested in.
  • The process can be completed via email through the use of U-M email accounts ONLY.  The student with the contract MUST contact the Housing Information Office at housing@umich.edu from their U-M email account to request the reassignment paper work to begin the process (beginning April 4 for Fall reassignments and beginning December 1 for Winter reassignments).


To learn more about contract termination or contract reassignment, contact the Housing Information Office.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Email: housing@umich.edu
Phone: (734) 763-3164