Northwood Graduate & Family Contract Transfer, Reassignment or Termination

University Housing contracts are legally binding for the entire term of the contract.

If you become ineligible for University Housing or must leave your Northwood apartment, you have three options: contract transfer, contract reassignment, or request to have your contract cancelled.

Contract Transfer

If you graduate or become ineligible for University Housing and your spouse/partner meets the Northwood Community Apartments eligibility requirements, you may request that the contract be transferred to your spouse/partner. Complete the online Request to Transfer Contract to Spouse/Partner form. A Housing Advisor or designee must approve the request in writing. If the transfer is approved, the spouse/partner will sign a new contract listing them as the contract holder. The rental rate will be assessed at the appropriate student or non-student rate and will be based on the date of the contract transfer.

Contract Reassignment

  • If you are interested in having another eligible person take over your contract, it is your responsibility to find, connect with, and make mutually agreeable arrangements with an interested and eligible student. University Housing does not facilitate contract reassignments in any way other than providing an online Northwood Contract Reassignment Bulletin Board and the new Housing contract.
  • The original contract cannot be transferred to a current Northwood contract holder. If you make a reassignment match, contact the Housing Information Office for the contract reassignment form.
  • If you are a single graduate student sharing an apartment, you can only reassign your contract to a single graduate student of the same gender.
  • Contract reassignments will be based on the terms and conditions of the original contract and will have the same contract end date.
  • If the new contract holder becomes ineligible during the contract period, you will be held responsible for the terms and conditions of the original contract.
  • Contract reassignments are not allowed within 60 days of the contract end date.
  • Use caution when committing to another housing obligation.

Offering a Contract for Reassignment

  • If you are a current contract holder in good standing and not eligible to terminate your contract, you may reassign your contract to a new resident who meets the apartment criteria at the time of the proposed reassignment and one of the following eligibility requirements:
  • You are responsible for your Housing contract until both parties have completed the reassignment paperwork.
  • If, for any reason, the reassignment paperwork is not completed, you will continue to be responsible for your contract.
  • Making offers of monetary compensation or other non-monetary incentives or rewards as part of a listing for a contract reassignment is strictly prohibited. Mentions of such offers will be removed from the bulletin board and you may be barred from submitting ads in the future.
  • Ads are posted for two weeks. You may repost as often as you like.
  • The Housing Information Office is the final authority on all apartment reassignments. Fraudulent use of this process will result in the resident’s name being removed from the Bulletin Board.

Post an ad

Looking for a Contract Reassignment

  • If University Housing is unable to offer you a contract and you still wish to live in a Northwood I, II, IV or V apartment, you may consider assuming another resident’s contract by means of a contract reassignment.
  • You must be eligible for the apartment you want. If you already have a contract with University Housing, you cannot participate in a contract reassignment.
  • If you are interested in a contract reassignment, you are responsible for contacting the resident whose contract you wish to assume.
  • There is no guarantee that you will be able to successfully obtain a contract through this reassignment process.
  • Munger Graduate Residences contracts may not be reassigned.

Browse Ads


Contract Termination

All requests to vacate and terminate a signed Housing contract must be submitted online. Reasons for requesting contract termination usually include one of the following:

  • University withdrawal or leave of absence
  • Graduation
  • Non-enrollment during fall-winter terms (students only)
  • Non-employment at the University (U-M staff/faculty only)
  • Study Abroad/Internship
  • Medical/Psychological (need-based)
  • Financial (need-based)

If you want to terminate your Housing contract, you must complete the online Request to Vacate notice.

Additional Contract Information

The following information applies only to residents of Northwood I, II, IV and V.

  • All standard contracts for graduate areas of Northwood I, II,  IV and V end on June 30, regardless of the start date. 
  • Submit the Request to Vacate notice as soon as you know your intended vacate (termination) date.
  • The Request to Vacate notice must be submitted at least 30 days in advance of your intended vacate date. 
  • Terminations may only be approved by the Housing Information Office and must be made online.
  • Moving plans and travel arrangements should be carefully considered before submitting a Request to Vacate notice. Once approved, the termination date cannot be changed. A holdover fee of $125 per day is imposed if you have not relinquished possession of your apartment by the approved contract termination date.
  • Signing another lease is not recommended until you receive written notification that your Northwood contract termination has been approved.
  • If early termination is approved, you may claim any refund due to you by contacting Student Financial Services.
  • You will receive an email containing information on how to vacate your apartment. Please review and follow these instructions.
  • Housing prorates rent by the half month. If contract termination is approved and you vacate on the 15th of the month or earlier, rent will be prorated for a half month. If you vacate on the 16th or any day thereafter, you will be responsible for rent for the full month.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164