Damage Assessment

Residence Halls

When you move-in you complete a Room Condition Inventory (RCI), and a residence hall staff member signs the document.  When you move-out, the condition of the room is noted.  Charges may be billed to your student account if you are found to be responsible for damage to or loss of University Housing property.

  • If the damage, loss or need for cleaning is discovered during the term of the contract, you will have five days to appeal the assessment, according to the Housing Student Conflict Resolution Process .
  • If the damage, loss or need for cleaning is discovered after you have moved out, a statement will be sent to your umich.edu email address. If you wish to appeal, you must respond within 10 business days of receiving the statement.
  • A list of repair and replacement costs is available online.

Group Billing for Damages

The most impartial way to effect restitution for damages that negatively affect the community is to bill only those responsible. Therefore, residents are encouraged to accept responsibility for their own and their guests' behavior. However, there are instances when damages occur in individual rooms or in the common areas of the floor or building and attempts to identify the parties responsible for the damage are not successful. If you are aware of any person who is responsible for specific damages, please contact Housing Security.

Every effort will be made to determine who is responsible, but when that is not possible, the replacement or repair costs will be divided among the room, floor, house or hall residents at the time that an accurate cost determination is made by building managers. Residents who were not on campus during the period the damage occurred may be exempt from charges billed to a group; residents in this category must inform the Hall Director in writing as soon as possible after receiving the notice of group billing. The Hall Director, in consultation with the building's Facilities staff, will make the final determination. The Associate Directors of Facilities will handle appeals of group billing charges.

Health and Safety Inspections

Rooms are inspected for health and safety conditions at the end of each term or whenever the room is vacated. Residents have the right to be present for this inspection and to schedule it with their Hall Director before moving out.

Northwood Community Apartments

Students who are responsible for damages to a room, furniture or any part of an apartment will be billed for repairs, missing keys, excessive cleaning or missing furniture or equipment.

All residents should have completed, signed and returned an Apartment Condition Report (ACR) when they moved into an apartment, either at the beginning of a term or when changing rooms within a term. The ACR is used to record any problems with the condition of the apartment when it is initially occupied. If the ACR was not completed and returned, University Housing assumes that there were no problems with the apartment when the residents moved in. Residents will be held responsible for any damage when they move out unless 1) it was noted on the ACR, 2) it is normal wear and tear or 3) it is related to a maintenance problem reported to FIXIT(online FIXIT system.)

A list of damage and cleaning charges are available online.

End-of-term damage assessment notices are mailed to your forwarding address. If you disagree with the charges, you must respond in writing within ten days. Damage assessments are billed to your student account.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Email: housing@umich.edu
Phone: (734) 763-3164