Northwood III -- Amenities & Utilities
- No security deposit
- No application fee
- Fully furnished
- Kitchen (refrigerator, stove/oven, garbage disposal)
- Window treatments included
- No monthly utility bills (heat, water, electricity, and local phone service included)
- High-speed data connectivity
- Cable television at reduced rates
- Easy-care laminate flooring
- Available onsite parking
- U-M and AATA bus service
- Laundry facilities
- 24-hour maintenance services
- 24/7 security
- Community Center
- Live-in resident advisors
- Picnic area
- Optional meal plans
Whether you’re going it alone or sharing the space with others, planning for your apartment is an exciting prospect. Begin by reviewing the following information on what comes with your apartment.
Your Northwood II or III apartment is fully furnished. That means all of the following items will be waiting for you when you move in:
- Desktop organizer*
- Dinette table and chair(s)
- Couch (except Studios)
- Coffee table (except Studios)
- Window treatments
- Computer data and telephone ports
- Hardwired smoke detector
- Garbage disposal
Items marked with an asterisk (*) are modular furniture pieces.
University Housing provides mattresses that are fire- and flame-retardant. For this reason, students may not substitute another mattress.
The bed linens you bring to campus should be the extra-long twin size (36” x 80”). Regular twin sheets will not fit our mattresses. Extra-long bedding can be found in most large retail stores, particularly before the start of the school year. All of these bedroom items are modular style furniture. You cannot remove furnishings from the apartments, including the beds.
Please enjoy our YouTube Video to get to know the amenities and furnishings in Northwood III, which is also applicable to Northwood II.
What to Bring to Campus?
You’ll find a list of the items you may want to consider bringing to campus to finish outfitting your apartment.
Digital cable television services are automatically provided to your Northwood apartment. No analog channels are available. A digital TV that is cable ready or a TV or other device with a digital tuner is required to receive all channels of the UMTV cable service.
No matter your residence hall or apartment, during the 2016-2017 school year you can also view cable channels on your computer or iOS or Android device using Xfinity on Campus. This network-based television service has the same channel lineup as traditional cable, plus the ability to view anywhere on campus, record programs, and purchase premium services. To set up Xfinity on Campus, please read the getting started guide. For questions and support in setting up cable or Xfinity on Campus, or if you're having trouble with your cable service, email 4-HELP@umich.edu or call 734-764-HELP. Please note that television service will not be offered after 2016-2017.
- Electrical equipment and appliances must be certified by Underwriters Laboratory. For safety’s sake, look for the UL logo!
- When purchasing electronic appliances and devices, think energy conservation and choose items that carry the Energy Star logo.
- Students may have one refrigerator per room that is up to 5.5-cubic foot capacity and/or uses up to 1.5 amps of electricity. (One refrigerator is provided per apartment.)
- Microwaves should be 800 watts or less.
- Extension cords – Only 16-guage or lower are permitted.
- Power strips – Only those with integrated circuit breakers are permitted.
Seven coin-operated laundry facilities are conveniently located throughout Northwood II and III and are available to all residents of the Northwood Community Apartments. See our maps to locate the laundry facility nearest you.
- Our realtime Laundry Locator lets you see when and where the next washer or dryer will be available!
- You'll need your apartment key to open any laundry room; all laundry rooms are accessible by all residents.
- Three laundry rooms are available in Northwood II. They are located on both sides of Bishop Street, next to Lot 33 (building 1793), Lot 31 (building 2356), Lot 25 (building 1735), next to Lot 12 (building 2261) and in building 2204.
- Three additional laundry rooms are available in Northwood III, in buildings 1714 and 2145.
- Laundry machines are coin operated. Use quarters only.
- Please report broken machines to WASH Laundry Systems by calling 1.800.342.5932 and providing the 6-digit machine number.
- Community clotheslines are provided near the laundries and are not permitted elsewhere in Northwood.
Northwood residents with proof of vehicle registration may purchase parking permits at move-in or anytime thereafter.
There is no storage space in Northwood for personal property. You may arrange for additional storage at your own expense through John’s Pack and Ship (a local commercial vendor) or through any shipping or storage facility of your choosing.
Although the vast majority of our residents use cellular phone services for their local and long-distance calling needs, ITS Communications Systems and Data Centers provides several levels of telephone services. One telephone line is provided for each Northwood Community Apartment; residents will need to supply their own handset. For details on what these services include and how to use them, visit the ITS Networking & Telecommunication website.
Similar to suites in the residence halls, bedroom locks are not provided in one or two bedroom units. Of course, there are exterior locking mechanisms.
- Housing Options
- Undergraduate Housing
- Single Graduate Student Housing
- Family Housing
- Gender-Inclusive Housing
- Off-Campus Housing
- Students With Disabilities or Additional Needs
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events