Crime Prevention & Personal Safety
Residence hall access is controlled by a computerized electronic control system and is restricted to only those students who reside in the building or require access for meals, classes etc. All halls maintain controlled access 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Card-readers, which are located just outside each entrance, will only recognize and grant access to a properly encoded Mcard. The door will unlock and then immediately re-lock when it closes.
Northwood apartments use individual locks with keys. Keys are issued to residents upon check in at the Community Center.
For Your Safety…
- Never let anyone into your building, room or apartment that you do not know.
- Never prop open exterior doors.
- Know the location of your room access card and Mcard. If your Mcard is lost or stolen, follow these directions.
- In the residence halls, keep your door closed at all times.
- In Northwood Apartments, keep doors and windows locked.
- Walk in groups when traveling outside of the residence hall or apartment, especially at night. Always travel in well-lit, heavily trafficked areas. If this is not possible, utilize SafeWalk and Night Ride by the U-M Parking and Transportation Service. You can also use the AATA Night Ride service.
Northwood Safety Tips
- Get acquainted with your neighbors and residence staff.
- Ask your RA to withhold delivery of flyers and newsletters when you plan on being away for extended periods.
- Report non-working exterior lights or parking lot lights to the Community Center.
- Young children and toddlers should never be left home alone, or left to play alone in the courtyards, even for a short time.
- Never leave young children unattended in second story rooms with open windows.
- Do not allow children to climb on windows and/or push on window screens. Screens are intended to keep pests out. They are not designed to withstand the weight of a child.
- Never allow children to use a wading pool without constant adult supervision. Empty children’s pools when not in use.
- Do not allow children to play in or near parking lots.
- Keep all household chemicals and medicines in their original, labeled, child resistant containers and out of reach of children.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events