Though you cannot see or smell carbon monoxide (CO), at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. This deadly gas is produced when fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. If in the process of burning these fuels, the appliances are well maintained and the amount burned is low, the amount of CO created is not usually hazardous. However, if appliances are not well maintained or, used incorrectly and the amount of fuel used is great, higher levels of CO can be produced.
For details on symptoms, treatment and prevention of CO poisoning, review the CO fact sheet from the University of Michigan Health System.
- Housing Options
- Applications, Rates & Policies
- Dining & Meal Plans
- Undergraduate Programs & Services
- Graduate and Family Programs & Services
- Conferences & Summer Camps
- Transportation, Parking & Maps
- Health & Safety
- News & Events