Winter 2017 Application Instructions

Please read all of the following instructions before you begin the application process. Rooms are very limited and become available for winter term admitted students as we receive current resident cancellations.  

Room Environment

Residents and guests in any part of a University Housing facility are expected to comply with federal and local regulations regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs.

All University Housing rooms and apartments are smoke-free. Each year, a percentage of our living spaces are designated as substance-free. The substance-free room option offers an additional measure of support for students who choose not to drink, smoke, or use illegal drugs.

Read more about substance-free housing to determine if this option is right for you.

Room Types, Rates & Meal Plans

At the University of Michigan, room and board rates are determined by the basic room type, regardless of features and amenities such as air conditioning, room size, whether or not a building is new or renovated, location or proximity to dining.

On your housing application, you will be asked to choose and rank at least two groups. You can be assigned to any of the room types within your group preferences. We will only assign you to a  Group A or Group B rate if it is your first or second choice.

GroupRoom Type GroupWinter Term Rate**
Group ASingle$6,487
Group BTwo Room Triple with Private Bath
Two Room Quad with Private Bath
Group CDouble
Two-Room Double*
Baits Two-Room Double with shared bath
Baits Double with shared bath
Two-Room Triple*
Large Triple*
Large Quad*
Oxford Two-Room Quad
Group DTriple
Fletcher Two-Room Triple

*This room type is not usually available for freshmen or new incoming students.
**These rates include the Unlimited Basic Meal Plan.

Incoming transfer students are also eligible and may be placed in a Northwood III apartment.

Northwood III Apartment Gallery
Room and Board Rates

Meal Plans

You will have the ability to select your meal plan when submitting your contract.  Look here for complete information on meal plans.

Campus Neighborhoods

U-M residence halls are located in one of three neighborhoods: Central Campus, the Hill and North Campus. You will be asked if the North Campus Neighborhood is your first or second choice preference. 

North Neighborhood Room Configurations

The North Neighborhood has both residence halls and apartments.

Baits II - Primarily suite-style rooms sharing a bathroom with 1-4 people (Freshmen Only)

Bursley Hall - Traditional rooms with community bathrooms shared with 10-60 people (Both Freshmen and Non-Freshmen Undergraduates)

Northwood III Apartments - Exterior door entrances to each apartment.  Bathroom and kitchen shared with 1-2 other people. (Non-Freshmen Undergraduates)

You will be asked your first preference of the two configuration types for which you are eligible.

Gender-Specific Housing

Three choices are available:

All Female Hall 
The University of Michigan does not offer any all male halls.
Single-Gender Corridor
 The residence hall is mixed-gender, but residents of the corridor are the same gender.
Mixed Gender Corridor
 Roommates are the same gender, but men and women may live next door to one another.   Bathrooms are designated as male or female bathroom.

Michigan Learning Communities

Michigan Learning Communities provide a smaller and more intimate environment for the exploration of a specific field of study. These communities are generallly not available for winter term admitted students. However, if you are interested, please visit the various Michigan Learning Community web sites and contact the programs directly to learn about academic requirements, and core expectations. 

Roommate Requests

If you would like to request a specific roommate, please consider that roommate requests take precedence over all other preferences (except health related accommodations) and should, therefore, be your highest priority.

To request a roommate, ALL roommates must:

  • Enter the 8-digit U-M ID number of the other roommate on the application before it is submitted.
  • Be of the same gender.

Students with Disabilities and Chronic Health Conditions

Accommodations for disabilities and chronic health conditions take time to arrange. University Housing receives many such requests, all of which affect the allocation of limited housing resources. For this reason, all pre-existing conditions must be disclosed at the time of application and the Documentation for Accommodation Needs form and supplemental documentation must be received within 5 days of your application.  

Conditions that may require accommodation include, but are not limited to: deaf or hard of hearing, mobility disability, blind or visually impaired, allergic rhinitis & asthma, diabetes, mental health disorders, and/or significant temporary health condition, such as, chemotherapy treatment or surgical recovery.

Learn more about accommodations for students with disabilities and chronic health conditions.

Gender-Inclusive Housing

University Housing works to provide a safe, comfortable and supportive living experience for all students. We offer gender-inclusive housing that is supportive of students who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming. Housing assignments are made on a case-by-case basis. If you are interested in a gender-inclusive room or apartment space, please contact us as soon as possible.

Learn more about gender-inclusive housing.

University Housing is a unit of Student Life, and an equal opportunity educator and employer.

For housing related questions, please contact University Housing.
Phone: (734) 763-3164